Procida is the smallest of the Campania islands, a place where elegance and authenticity reign, here everything is simple and charming at the same time.
This little island is one of the most amazing destinations of the region, a piece of land of uncontaminated natural beauty, oasis of peace and quietness.
This charming place was one of the first islands in the gulf of Naples to be inhabited, in fact the settlements of Procida date back to Greek and then Roman times.
Procida was the first island to receive the title of Italian Capital of Culture 2022
The culture of the island is perceptible in the eyes of the communities, in the typical charm of the marine village, in the Mediterranean architecture and in the traditional cuisine.
Did you know that Procida was the protagonist of literary and cinematographic works?
Procida was the protagonist of ‘L’sola di Arturo’, a famous literary work written by Elsa Morante’s, it was the setting of ‘The Postman’’ a film interpreted by the memorable Massimo Troisi and other masterpieces with the timeless Alberto Sordi and Sofia Loren.
Why the houses of the island are all colored?
Procida places among the 10 most colourful villages in the world for its houses painted with bright colors. According to tradition, the different colours allowed the fishermen to recognize their habitation even when they were far in the sea.
Procida’s best dishes
The gastronomy of the island is characterized by land and sea fresh products. Here you can find typical dishes such as the wet octopus, spaghetti with anchovy or curly, wild vegetables, nassa fish or line, paranza fried and historical lemon salad. Among the cakes of the tradition, we find the Lingua di Bue, composed of puff pastry and cream covered with sugar.
Have you ever thought about getting on a fishing boat?
For the island community, the sea is always been a priority and obviously the fishing industry has always played a fundamental role.
Fishing-tourism is an unmissable opportunity for all those who loves fishing or for who wants to discover fisherman’s skills and seabed’s secrets, a chance to taste fish and typical products. On board we can have fun like a real seaman struggling with anchovy fishing, delicious blue fish with remarkable organoleptic properties.
What to visit during a daily excursion in Procida…
- The historic center of the island is characterized by typical narrow streets.
- Marina Grande, is the harbour of the island, from there, after a climb on foot, we arrive in Piazza dei Martiri, going down we reach Marina di Corricella, the most colourful village of Procida.
- Terra Murata is the oldest and highest point of the island, from here is possible to enjoy a beautiful panorama.
- D’Avalos Palace is one of the most important architectural properties of the island, an ancient Bourbon prison overlooking the sea.
- Vivara is a protected oasis and nature reserve connected to Procida by a charming bridge that cross the sea
- Finally, after a typical lunch or an aperitif facing the sea, you can lay down and relax on the beach